Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How I write


How does one define their own style in writing, is it the ability to find words, to string them together, or just to have ideas like no others readily available? To me my writing is calming, interesting, and an exploration into my own imagination and knowledge of fiction. The main point in writing I seem to get stuck in is how to describe the characters and when to have dialogue.

The character introductions are hard for me, for in my mind they are and need no description. So, for me anyway, I must find a simple yet eloquent way to describe to a reader what my characters look like without letting the descriptions take control of the whole story. I need a shorter way to describe the faces of the stories cast, that way no more roadblocks would occur before the end of chapter one.I also have a habit of allowing the map of the world to develop, but this takes a lot of time that could be spent developing the story. I need to learn to just make stories about several different locations and slowly link them together. This could make the amount of character descriptions go down as well. I will start by making a villain for the main cast to be against. Maybe, start with only the villain / his (her) army destroying one of the main characters home villages/towns/city's.

Start the story simple, maybe make it about one of the main characters in everyday life. At the end of the book reveal the true plot points of the story and give reason for the main cast to care. Make a reason for them to need this in their lives, whether that be through desperation, revenge, or righteousness.

I could also start on a simple adventure as the lord of the rings series did. That series started out with a small-ish book called the Hobbit, and bloomed into an epic adventure series that almost everyone has heard of. While I don't believe that many would read my stories and I believe even less that any of my stories will get published, this is how I believe a good story should start. With a small unassuming venture outside of a much familiar place, into a dark mysterious land.

 I have no examples of my work to show what am trying to say but, I guess I will try my hand at writing again and see how it gos. I do need help finding my way though, feedback, tips, whatever everyone can  offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment